Who’s the Boss? Part I

Friday, March 12, 2010

“We're here to re-dedicate you to The Power, The Passion, The Mystery, and The Ministry of Rock and Roll.”-- Bruce Springsteen, 1999

If you read my last post, you know I take music very seriously. It would not be much of an exaggeration to say that it is my religion. Music sustains me in a way that I think prayer does for some people. In my faith, Bruce Springsteen has become the patron Saint of Benevolent Messages.

I began listening to Bruce Springsteen in university, but really, his music had always been there, in the background. I had previously only known him from ‘Born in the USA,’ and I thought of him as a stadium rocker, nothing more. I didn’t know he had had a whole career prior to his massive 1984 hit. I discovered an artist of great versatility (the bombast of Born to Run, the bare bones of Nebraska), capable of writing songs with social value (‘Murder Incorporated,’ ‘Streets of Philadelphia’) and songs of introspection (see especially Tunnel of Love and Darkness on the Edge of Town). I admire him as a person as well. Unlike other artists (Bob Dylan, Franz Ferdinand, The Beatles, etc., etc.) he has never allowed his music to be used in commercials. Although he is a millionaire many times over and lives in a big old mansion, I don’t think he’s very comfortable aligning himself with the ‘haves’ (who have too much). I see him as someone who never forgot his working-class roots. In this way, he reminds me of my parents. My father instilled in me a healthy disdain for anyone whose only goal in life is making money, a value I’d like to think Springsteen shares.

Anyway, I’m trying to tell you that his music is important to me, and for about seven years now, his music has taken on an unusual role in my life. Have you ever been listening to the radio, thinking about a certain song, and then the song will come on? It happens to everyone, right? Since 2003 or so, I’ve noticed that if I’m in a store that’s playing music, or listening to the radio, a Bruce Springsteen song will come on when I’m feeling sad or anxious.

The first instance was when I was an undergrad at Dalhousie University. I had just come from my abnormal child development class, where we watched a disturbing documentary about young psychopaths. I was sitting on the bus, waiting to go home, literally worrying about the fate of humanity—when a Springsteen song came on. I don’t remember which one, but I do remember the instant feeling of calm. Since then, these moments come at such a rate that I’ve almost come to expect them. The last time it happened was Saturday, March 6. I was driving back to Halifax from my parents’ house, and I was having my daily crisis (although on some days it’s hourly). I was asking myself “Can I do this (academia)? Can I handle it all?” No sooner had these thoughts scrolled across my brain than ‘Glory Days’ came on.

Now, I’m not a complete flake, but I’m not a total cynic, either. Sure, I guess that if you look at how often I worry, and how often Bruce Springsteen songs are played on the radio, those times are going to overlap. Yeah, fine, it makes sense. But maybe… something, I don’t know what, is telling me that everything is okay. Maybe everyone receives such messages, but perhaps not everyone is lucky (or cursed, depending on your tastes) to receive their messages in the form of Springsteen songs. Whether it’s coincidence or divine intervention, I’m glad I get to experience his music in this way. Has anything similar happened to you? I’d love to hear your stories.

I’ll leave you with one of my favourite Boss songs, from his Tunnel of Love album. Soak up the 80's goodness!

1 comments:

LissyFace March 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

yes, similar things have happened to me too. I LOOOOVE music and I totally agree with your belief that music is powerful and that it takes someone with a wholesome background to relay powerful messages is ones music. Don't get me wrong I like the Lady GAGA and the Kesha etc. But there is something said for the oldies and goodies.
At work we have the radio on all day, as I am working if I am feeling overwhelmed or sad it is true that a song from my past will come on and bring me back to that memorable time in my life. Some make me smile, and some make me think about how much I have grown up and appreciate all the things in my life now.
Music is powerful. Music brings you back to times you have long thought your forgot about and when you least expect it to...like your first dance at a high school dance with the guy you crush on...these memories are forever imprinted in your mind all because of music!

The Dork-A-Saurus Manifesto



Dork
- Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.


We are dorks. We will not be ashamed. We will revel in our dorky interests and habits and you will like it. You might even love it. Maybe, just maybe you'll admit that you too - are a dork-a-saurus.

Contributors:


  • A 29 year old wannabe
  • A virgo, in case you were wondering.
  • A singer/songwriter.
  • A lover, not a fighter
  • Likes: good music, bad music, good film, bad film, Golden Girls, show tunes, television, video games, gay stuff, art/design, fashion, board games, coffee, Glee, his iPhone, puppies, love, cute guys, etc.
  • Dork. (and proud of it!)






  • (Coming Soon)
  • Dork. (and proud of it!)