Wilco will love you, baby—to the max!!!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Concert Review: March 3, 2010, Halifax Forum (Multipurpose Room) Opening Act: Bahamas
By: Heatha

Warning: Extreme dorkiness ahead (which is why you’re here, right?)

I am from the school that thinks a great rock concert is what church should be like; a renewing, uplifting, collective experience. It should feed your soul. I took communion at the Church of Wilco, and it was good. I left baptized in sweat, my soul replenished. I didn’t quite get the sense of community I was hoping for (I will write about that in another post), but it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended. I went with my friend D and her husband J, who put up with my unbridled enthusiasm. Thanks, guys. The following clip is from the concert. I am aware of Wilco's policy on videotaping, and I did not take this video, but since it's out there, I might as well share...



Wilco are amazing live. If you aren’t impressed with their recorded material, you would change your mind once you’ve been to a show. This was my second time seeing them. My first Wilco experience was in 2008 when they opened for Neil Young at the Metro Centre. I had never heard them before that night, but after that, I was hooked. “Do you guys come here often?" lead singer Jeff Tweedy asked us, "It’s a multi-purpose centre, so what else do you do here?” Someone yelled out “bingo.” To which he replied “If I had a nickel for every bingo parlour we’ve played on this tour, I’d have a nickel.” The Multipurpose Room is kind of rinky-dink, but with only 1000 people and general admission (standing only), it felt very intimate and I soon forgot that on Sundays the room hosts a flea market.

The band seemed relaxed yet energized. I was worried that because it was the last show on their ‘Frozen Tundra’ tour, they would be ragged, tired, and Jeff Tweedy would be surly. I can’t believe I ever thought that. There were two stops and starts , and they didn’t play ‘Sonny Feeling’ because a guitar wasn’t properly tuned, but these were amusing blips, and the band took it all in stride. As J said to me, and I agree, Wilco is a well-oiled machine.

It is a joy to watch all the band members play, but especially guitarist Nels Cline and drummer Glenn Kotche, they are obviously doing what they were born to do. Nels gets lost in the music. On the Ashes of American Flags dvd, he says “I never want to think about my body when I’m playing…I just want to levitate.” Glenn appeared to be having the time of his life on stage. I never saw anyone pound the drums as hard as he did at the end of ‘Misunderstood.’ During the intro to ‘I’m the Man Who Loves You,’ Glenn stood up on his seat, arms outstretched, reveling in his glory.

Jeff Tweedy appeared to be enjoying himself as well. I’ve seen some performances on You Tube where he exudes a quality that I can only describe as poisonous…



But that was a long time ago, and I did not see that at all in Halifax.

Also, Jeff doesn’t look as grizzled in person as he does on video. I wasn’t super close (I was in the middle of the crowd) but he looked good. I think he’s good-looking, regardless (there, I said it, so what? who cares?). I like his brain, too. I think one of the reasons I love Wilco is because Jeff comes off as incredibly intelligent in interviews, and it shows in his songwriting.

On the Wilco website, you can request songs for whatever concert you’re attending, and I requested ‘Passenger Side’ because it reminds me of my gloriously misspent youth in rural Nova Scotia. They didn’t play it, but they did play another song from their first album (A.M.).



Other fun concert moments: Jeff said that they spent the afternoon ice-skating with lumberjacks. Funny, and a dead give-away that they’re Americans. Canadians would never add ‘ice’ before ‘skating,’ amiright?

He also showed off some knowledge of Halifax; “Thank you for keeping your shipping routes open during WW II!” You’re welcome!

He changed the words to ‘King Pin’ in honour of our city, it was cute:

Original lyrics:

I wanna be your King Pin
Living in…Pekin*
I wanna be your bigwig

*According to Wikipedia, Pekin is a small city in Illinois.

Halifax lyrics:

I wanna be your King Pin
Living in…Halifax!
I wanna love you to the max!

I had a great time. I basically grinned like an idiot for 2-plus hours, bopped around, and sang along when appropriate (‘Jesus, Etc.’) and we sang ‘Happy Birthday’ to the merch guy Andy twice. The first attempt was a dirge; Jeff remarked that it was the “eeriest version of ‘Happy Birthday’ I ever heard.” He then passed a cake, plastic forks, and paper bowls back to the merch table. Later on he said Andy wasn’t there the first time we sang it, so we did it again, this version was much happier.

He said they’d be coming back!!!! But I’m totally tempted to go see them in Scotland this September, because they only come to Halifax every two years, it seems. Since this a blog where dorkiness is encouraged, I will admit that I have always secretly envied Dead Heads, Phishheads, Ears With Feet, or anyone who has the time, means, and passion (foolishness?) to follow a band/artist on tour. I’m not slavishly devoted to Wilco, at least not yet, but they are so damn good, I would love to do a road trip of the U.S. and become a regular church-goer.

0 comments:

The Dork-A-Saurus Manifesto



Dork
- Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.


We are dorks. We will not be ashamed. We will revel in our dorky interests and habits and you will like it. You might even love it. Maybe, just maybe you'll admit that you too - are a dork-a-saurus.

Contributors:


  • A 29 year old wannabe
  • A virgo, in case you were wondering.
  • A singer/songwriter.
  • A lover, not a fighter
  • Likes: good music, bad music, good film, bad film, Golden Girls, show tunes, television, video games, gay stuff, art/design, fashion, board games, coffee, Glee, his iPhone, puppies, love, cute guys, etc.
  • Dork. (and proud of it!)






  • (Coming Soon)
  • Dork. (and proud of it!)